Juvenile Justice

The purpose of the Juvenile Justice Program is to address the needs of adolescents, families and the community by encouraging accountability through support and supervision. Our ultimate goal is for Polk County youth to be successful and competent.

The years during adolescence, ranging anywhere between 10 and 18, can be complicated for anyone. They are tough years for the adolescent and they can also be quite trying on parents as well. In today's world it is no longer a success to simply "get through" those years; it can often feel like an endurance challenge for both parents and adolescents. The Juvenile Justice workers in Polk County have a passion for working with adolescents. This passion translates into work, research and a knowledge base that is unique to this population. Adolescence is tough enough for any child to navigate. If you are faced with other hardships and struggles in your family that are far above the "daily grind", please call a social worker in the Juvenile Justice Unit and let us help you. We believe in accountability as well as education.


Knowledge is power

For you

For your child

For your family

We are here to help

How do I get help with my child's behaviors

Place a call or stop in our office

  • We would be happy to meet with you in person or talk on the phone to help you sort out the struggle you are currently having. This call would not trigger any sort of formal connection or file.
  • Phone: 715.485.8400
  • Address: 100 Polk County Plaza, Balsam Lake WI. We are housed on the lowest level of the buliding. Click here for directions.

Voluntary Services

  • The Social Workers in Juvenile Justice are here to provide support and service to families before they are involved with the court system or law enforcement. Our values support our desire to prevent youth from entering into the juvenile justice system whenever possible. We may be able to connect you with resources or work with you informally for a short time. If you would like to talk to a Juvenile Justice Social Worker about a youth, you may call 715.485.8400 and ask for the Juvenile Justice Access Worker.

JIPS Petitions - Juvenile In Need of Protection or Services

  • You would consider this process if you believe that your child's behaviors have reached a level that you would call "out of control". This is a more formal process that involves the Juvenile Court system. Please call our office and we will help you walk through this process - 715.485.8400

What if my child already had contact with law enforcement

You may be invited to attend a Juvenile Intake Conference. The services below would come after a law enforcement referral or a referral from a school.


Counsel and Close

  • We may simply meet with the juvenile and their parent/guardian and decide that the case will be closed



Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA) or Consent Decree (CD)

  • Informal Agreement signed by the social worker, the juvenile and the parent/guardian
  • A Consent Decree is similiar to a Deferred Prosecution Agreement but this is an action that begins and ends in a courtroom setting



Court Ordered Supervision

  • A juvenile may find themselves in Juvenile Court if they are accused of committing a deliquent act (a crime) or if they are habitually truant from school (too many absences or tardies from school)
  • Formal Juvenile Court supervision. The juvenile is ordered by a Judge to follow certain rules and conditions for supervision. The parents are also held accountable through a court order. Most Orders last for one year.

Is Social Media impacting my child

We encourage you to be very aware of your child's activity on social media. This is a new way for kids to cause harm and be harmed. We in Juvenile Justice are passionate about keeping adolescents safe from this kind of activity and we will take seriously holding them accountable if they are the offenders.


If your child is a victim of this activity, please call your local law enforcement.


For more information, check out The SAM Project.

What worries me

If your child is showing behavior changes that are beyond normal adolescent challenges like:

  • Withdrawal from activities
  • Change in friends
  • Rapid and drastic drop in grades
  • Isolation
  • Self harming (purposely causing injury to their bodies)
  • Illegal activity or drug/alcohol use

Call us and we will help you - 715.485.8400



Monday - Friday

8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Closed on Holidays



Polk County Children and Families Department

100 Polk County Plaza

Ste 180

Balsam Lake WI 54810


Phone: 715-485-8400

FAX:      715-500-2716



Print Print | Sitemap
© Polk County Health Dept.